Thursday, September 30, 2010

Um... Wow!



From Goodreads: Elizabeth never intends to fall in love with fiery preacher John Costin---especially considering that in Restoration England, he'll likely end up in prison. But she is determined to care for his children. Will a simple housekeeping job lead to love---and more danger than she ever counted on?

*****

Jody Hedlund is a familiar part of our blogging circle. Her posts are wise and always full of valuable writing and life lessons. We've waited with her - cheering her every step of the process - for her debut book's release. And now it's here.

AND IT IS AMAZING!

I loved this book. Truly. Madly. Deeply. In fact, I know that I cannot possibly do it justice in this review - forgive me, Jody. Your book deserves to be praised loudly from high places! Seriously.

So...why did I love it?
First, the storyline is beautiful and powerful and real and utterly compelling. The characters are alive - they live and breathe on the page.

The writing is superb, the words lyrical. I was enthralled, both as a reader and a writer.

I caught the "writer me" thinking things like,
Oh, Jody, that was brilliant or Wow. That was the most beautiful butterfly metaphor I've ever seen. How did you do that? Oh. So. Beautiful.

The "reader me" lay awake long after I should have been sleeping, savoring the story like rich chocolate.


Whether you are a fan of Christian fiction, Romance, YA, MG, Picture books, Mystery - whatever - I believe you will enjoy this book. It's about love and loss and life; and so are we.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!


39 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Is it available already? It was like waiting for a baby to be born. It's finally here! Let me see the new arrival.

Sandy said...

Thank you for the rec, Shannon. I love Jody's blog, and will definitely have to check this out soon.

Southpaw said...

I just got my copy!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Wow, is right and I decided not to review it. Kicking myself.

Laura S. said...

This is so exciting for Jody! I'm looking forward to reading her novel!

Katie Ganshert said...

Amen, sista! My review on Amazon is titled the same "wow!" :)

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for posting Les' link today--I needed a laugh on a rainy day...

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Awesome! I really want to read this one...I'm so excited :)

Patti said...

Great praise. I've wanted to read this one as well.

Carolyn V. said...

I haven't even heard of this one. I'm so excited! Going on the tbr pile! Thanks Shannon!

Jennifer Hoffine said...

I love historical. This one sounds awesome. Thanks for reviewing!

BK Mattingly said...

Wow sound like a book made for me! I'm definitely going to have to check this one out.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Shannon -

That's it! I MUST put an Amazon order together.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Mine is sitting on my shelf, waiting for me.

Susan R. Mills said...

I've been waiting a long time for this book to come out. Can't wait to read it.

ali cross said...

Oh wow, I want to read this! The cover is beautiful too ... Thanks for the recommend Shannon!

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, Shannon! What an amazing review! Your words of praise are WAY too kind! :-) Thank you so much for reviewing my book on your blog and shouting out the word. It means SO much!

And thank you to everyone else, so many of you my dear blogging friends who are so incredibly supportive!! You guys rock! :-)

Jennie Englund said...

Shannon, you did it again -- another good book on my library list!

Robyn Campbell said...

Shannon, I must agree. I have waited on this book release for a long time.

I haven't read it yet, but plan on doing so this weekend if I get my agent list updated.

Your review is spot on, girlie. :)

Did you see Karen's interview?

Karen Harrington said...

This one is on my list!

Conda Douglas said...

Oh, this sounds delightful, especially for a winter read when it's dark and dreary.

Karen Lange said...

It IS wonderful! Can't wait till Book Two!

Melissa said...

This sounds absolutely amazing. Is it available already? I really want to read it.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

This sounds so good, Shannon! What a compelling review. I'll read most anything that deals with these themes...love, loss, and life? Count me in. I'll look for it when I do my weekend book shopping!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

This sounds excellent Shannon, you made a good review.

Yvonne.

Shelley Sly said...

Sounds like such a wonderful book! I'll have to pick it up!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

WOW! What a review! This was already on my TBR list, but it's just been moved up!

Theresa Milstein said...

Thanks for the review. I've heard a lot about this book.

Diane said...

I also loved this book! :O)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Between your glowing review and that gorgeous cover, I'm sold!

Stephanie Thornton said...

I just saw that this one was available so I think I'll have to hunt it down. It looks marvelous!

Christine Danek said...

I have it on my goodreads list. Jody is awesome.
Thanks!

Jessie Oliveros said...

I've been hearing more and more about this book and I love Jody's blog. Thanks for the rec.

Jessie Oliveros said...

I've been hearing more and more about this book and I love Jody's blog. Thanks for the rec.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Shannon, oh, I'm so excited to read it!!! Wish I had been more aggressive and gotten a copy for the plane this next week! Thanks for the nudge!

Natasha said...

It does sound like a brilliant book, and I particularly like the cover.

Natasha said...

Can you collect an Award from my blog?

DL Hammons said...

That's high praise indeed! It tickles me all over when one of our own succeeds in such a sweeping fashion. Thanks for the review Shannon! :)

Tina Laurel Lee said...

And the cover is so appealing. Thanks for that rec. I will look for the book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...